1. Click the "Apply Now" button below to fill out the online application form.
Applications are open every Monday at 8:00am and close on Wednesday at 5:00pm. Other nonprofits helping with financial assistance can be found by dialing 211, the United Way of Greater Nashville's help line.
2. If you do not qualify for an existing grant, you will be sent an email with a referral to other resources.
3. If you qualify for an existing grant, a Rooftop social worker will call you to conduct an over the phone interview and may request additional documentation.
4. Rooftop's case review team meets daily to review applications. Assistance is based on the documentation provided and the funding available.
5. Following that meeting, you will be notified of our decision. If you are approved for assistance, a check will be sent directly to your rental agency or mortgage company.
The application period is now closed. To apply for assistance, please return during the next application period (Monday, 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, 5:00 p.m. CT).
Guidelines for Service
- In order to apply, the individual or family must:
- live in Davidson County, TN.
- have a lease or mortgage in his or her name.
- have experienced an unexpected financial hardship that created the inability to pay the rent/mortgage/utility and must be able to document the hardship.
- be able to document that some form of regular income is coming into the home that will cover your monthly bills. This could be any of the following: wages, social security income, disability income, child support, Families First, unemployment income, pension, or retirement income. **Adjustments have been made for the Tornado Recovery effort and those impacted by the Coronavirus.
- demonstrate that the assistance will clear their current balance to zero.
- Applicants are eligible once in a 12 month period, though assistance is not guaranteed in any case. **Adjustments have been made for the Tornado Recovery and those impacted by the Coronavirus.
- The landlord, rental, or mortgage company will be contacted to verify that this is not an ongoing, continuous problem.
- Applicants are asked to provide information on assistance received from other organizations.
- Individuals and families must provide proof of income for anyone who is working in the household. That includes any type of governmental assistance and cash payments for services provided. If not working, the applicant must demonstrate the ability to sustain himself or herself or his or her family the following month. **Caseworkers will discuss requirements for those who have been impacted by the tornado or Coronavirus.
- Rental deposit grants are available for residents moving into income-based housing from homelessness or market rent properties.
Disqualifiers for Service
- Grants are not provided for motels/hotels.
- Assistance is not granted for rental payments for halfway houses and/or A and D treatment programs
- Those who were underemployed or unemployed prior to COVID-19 (March 11) will be referred to a resource with wrap-around services.
- Rooftop is unable to provide housing.
Looking for a Job?
665 MainStream Drive, Nashville, TN 37243
Open 8:00am - 4:30pm Daily
Job Fairs Tuesday - Thursday, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Additional Rent and Utilities Assistance
2806 Mcgavock Pike, Nashville, TN 37214
Services Provided: Emergency food boxes and Financial assistance
2212 State Street, Nashville, TN 37203
Services Provided: The Ladies of Charity helps fund the welfare office, runs a thrift store, and also distributes clothing, food, prescription medicines, and funeral expenses. They are currently not providing rent or utility assistance.
800 2nd Avenue North, Nashville, TN 37201
Services Provided: Utility assistance programs (low-income energy assistance program and fan and air conditioning program, energy assistance), Household assistance (emergency assistance program, homeless services, senior services), Adult education (GED orientation, classes, and exam, college prep course), summer food services for children, job search program.
1600 56th Avenue North, Nashville, TN 37209
Services Provided: Offers emergency financial assistance for past-due utility bills or income-based rent (section 8, MDHA, Urban Housing, Ect.) It also offers deposits for utilities and income-based rentals.
611 Stockell St, Nashville, TN 37027
Services Provided: Financial assistance with utilities and rent.
(Dial 2-1-1) To connect to a community resource specialist in your area who can help with finding available local resources.